There are two types of permanent Skilled Visa subclasses. The first is the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189): this visa doesn’t require the individual to be nominated by an employer or family member. The Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) is a visa suitable for an individual who has been nominated by a state or territory government agency. Both visas allow the individual to live and work permanently in Australia.